Saturday, February 16, 2008

Who Knew?

So I feel slightly silly. After doing a little research on Italian grammar, I discovered that the biggest difference between Latin and Italian is the fact that by the time Italian developed the entire case system was lost. Dude?! What's up with that, man?? So that means that for the most part there aren't declensions. In other words the noun and adjective endings don't change depending on their use in the phrase or sentence. You have singular and plural endings, and that's all you have. I suppose that will save me the pressure I felt during my Latin classes of memorizing the declensions of five different cases in both the singular and plural. And, oh, Latin also has five declensions, so you're essentially memorizing about 80 endings.

And yet again, this is one of those things that gets me worked up and excited. This is why my friends think I'm crazy...

No comments: