Sunday, February 24, 2008

Working on Sunday

Because things have been so busy at work and because the release dates for two of my books have moved up one month, I've had to do some work over the weekend. I relaxed for most of the day Saturday, but today I went into the office. Naturally I was the only one there, which was both strange and wonderful at the same time. With the exception on taking a few breaks to check my personal e-mail and to log into Facebook every now and then, I could work nonstop without interruption. I got into the office around 11:00, and pretty much "started the work day" by answering some e-mail. I wrote the authors whose books will be moving and let them know that our deadlines will come sooner and their time to review the manuscripts and pages will be shorter. I hit send and held my breath expecting the worse. Fortunately (and wonderfully) both authors didn't seem that phased by the new deadlines and shorter turnarounds, and both seem willing to work within the new schedule. On of my authors described the situation as delivering a baby prematurely. Many project editors often describe each book as being like a different child with its own personality. Each book needs to be treated differently and handled differently. And when we have very "hands on" authors who can't let go, we often say that they need to "cut the cord." That is why I find it funny and ironic that my author describes her book as being like a preemie. I suppose you get to the point where it really is like having a baby and eventually you really just want it finished and out of you. I'm not speaking from experience, because I've never had a baby, but I suppose that is how it feels to be pregnant and to give birth. And, as a side note, considering I was a breach baby, I was difficult right from the start, but I digress and that's not all that relevant...

So back to my original thought after my little digression about books and the pregnancy metaphor... I worked at the office all day today and was able to accomplish several things. I eventually went home at about 4:30, because I was starting to get hungry. (I think I have a tapeworm because I'm always hungry!) After I called my family, I made myself a huge dinner. I grilled some chicken that was seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme. I had some broccoli and a baked potato. And I had a baked potato success. For some reason I often have problems with creating the perfect baked potato. It sounds stupid, I know, because how hard is it to bake a potato. In the past I was unsuccessful because the temperature wasn't right, I didn't cook it long enough, or whatever I did wrong. But today I had a baked potato success, and I loaded it up with butter, sour cream, and chives. So now that my tummy is fully, I'm hoping that I will be energized to do some more work. Yes, unfortunately I still had to bring some work home with me in spite of the fact that I worked for most of the day. But, considering I have an open bottle of wine next to me, I doubt that I will get that much accomplished. And is that really a bad thing? Maybe. Maybe not. After all it is Sunday, and as a beautiful friend said, I need (and deserve) a lazy Sunday every now and then.

Current mood: eeh
Current music: iTunes on shuffle. Currently "Addy's Tattoo" by Megan Slankard
Current drink: Catena 2003 Malbec

No comments: