Thursday, March 26, 2009

Live Blogging - Blizzard 2009!

OK, so maybe it is only kind of live. It's is a little after 1:40 as I start typing this post. When I first woke up this morning, the snow was falling lightly. I made the decision to stay home, then the office officially closed—I don't think that there is any correlation between the two, although I like to think that they can't function without me. Then it started snowing harder. Then the wind started to pick up. The wind was pretty bad and the snow was swirling around. It even started to blow into my balcony. Naturally I've been watching the news all morning, and the reports have been pretty bad. The freeways and roads are a mess and more like parking lots because the cars aren't going anywhere. But, right now it has stopped snowing and the winds have died down. Occasionally a gust of wind will blow the snow of the roof, but for the most part things have calmed down in Boulder. I haven't been outside yet but have only looked at things from my balcony. It looks like we got about a foot of snow.

Even though the storm has quieted down, I bet the drive to work tomorrow morning will still be horrible. Once the temperature drops and things freeze over, that's when things get really bad.

Update, 2:26 p.m. MST: looks like it is snowing again and the winds are picking up...

Update, 4:47 p.m. MST: It is still snowing, and it looks like we might be up to 15 inches by now. But, on brighter news, I just made the best grilled cheese sandwich ever!

Update, 6:23 p.m. MST: It is still snowing, and I'm trying to decide if I want to drink wine or cognac tonight.

Update, 7:16 p.m. MST: It is still snowing, it is really cold, and I chose the wine.

Update, 8:54 p.m. MST: It is dark. I can't quite tell if it is snowing or not, but if it is snowing, it is pretty light. I'm on my second glass of wine, so I don't care too much.

Update, 3/27, 7:37 a.m. MST: The snow has finally stopped falling in Boulder. But I'm watching the news this morning and there seems to be some light snow still falling in Denver. I think that we might have received a total of 15 to 18 inches of snow yesterday. Our office is not closed today but it is on a delayed start and it will officially open at 10:00 this morning. It was stated, however, that you can continue to work from home if you like and if you don't feel safe driving in to work. Right now I'm torn. I live only 3 miles from work, so in theory it should be easiest for me to drive to work. But, because I live on a road that is neither primary nor secondary, my roads probably will not be plowed as well. And, second, I honestly just want to stay home and have a pseudo day off. I have a few hours to think about this, so we'll see what I decide...

Current mood: relaxed (not working! - shh...)
Current music: iTunes on shuffle—Melissa Etheridge "I've Loved You Before"
Current drink: Barq's root beer; Update: Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz; Update: coffee

No comments: