Sunday, March 22, 2009

Walking and Exploring

The weather is absolutely beautiful again, so I thought I'd take another walk. But, instead of walking around Twin Lakes again, I decided to explore the area closer to home. Yes, I've been living in my new apartment for almost 10 months, but I really haven't explored the area that much other than by driving to and fro in my car. So once again I strapped on my walking shoes and out I went.

As I was walking, I discovered a huge park that is pretty close to my apartment. There are lots of open gassy spots, picnic tables, basketball courts, and swings, slides, and jungle gyms for the kids. I went past the park and kept on walking. I've always known that I'm really close to the Celestial Seasonings factory, but I guess I never realized how close I really was. It is only about half a mile away. I continued walking "around the block" and found some really nice areas with great, clear views of the mountains. I have a feeling that these spots could turn into some excellent locations for taking pictures of the mountains, sunsets, storms, or whatever. I continued my tour around the block, but came to the less exciting areas with the office park on one side of me and apartments and condos (but nice apartments and condos) on the other side of me. Eventually, and somewhat too soon, I was back at my apartment.

The walk was about one mile long. I was able to see some nice sights and get in a little bit of exercise, too. Even though I'm a big wanderer and love taking in beautiful scenery, I'm also in this for the exercise. When I came to Colorado for grad school, my first apartment was about a mile and a half from my front door to our department office. Because I was so close, I naturally walked that distance every day. And I walked that distance no matter the weather—100 degrees, rain, snow, 50 mile per hour winds, and, yes, sometimes uphill, all while carrying a backpack full of books! Back then I was really healthy and in really good shape. I had a hearty appetite and I slept well. That all changed once I graduated and entered the working world. Now I spend 8–10 hours a day doing nothing but sitting and reading. And by the end of the day I'm usually too tired to do anything that requires any real effort or exertion. But then my attitude suddenly changed. A few days ago a friend told me that she is training for a half marathon, and naturally I thought that her goal was amazing and impressive. That is when it hit me that I need to get out more and move some more. I'm not going to be running a half marathon any time soon, but I just feel the need to move. I think it will be good for both my health and my sanity.

Current mood: energized
Current music: iTunes on shuffle—Maroon 5 "Little of Your Time"
Current drink: Barq's root beer

No comments: