Sunday, June 04, 2006

Ph.D. Dreams

While I was in South Bend, Indiana, for a business trip, I was able to take a quick tour of Notre Dame. The weather was hot, humid, and generally miserable for someone from dry-as-a-bone Colorado, but whatever discomfort I was feeling was soon erased. The Notre Dame campus was beautiful. Very green, lots of trees, nice architecture. Being there made me miss grad school.

I'm always doing a continual dance around whether I want to go back to grad school. I'm only a few years away from a Ph.D., and it would be nice to have a Ph.D. even if it is just for the sake of my own ego to have one. I miss the studying. I miss reading Greek and Latin on a regular basis. And I definitely miss teaching. I don't necessarily miss the exams or papers, but I could deal with that.

One of the reasons why I don't want to go back to grad school is because of all of the drama. I went to CU for my master's degree, and maybe CU is an exception and maybe other schools are different. But being in the grad program took me back to high school. There was just so much gossiping and so much cattiness. You had all the talk about who is wearing what, how someone styles his or her hair, who is a bitch, and who is an ass, who is sleeping with whom, etc. You have your cliques and departmental politics and people who just think that they are better than everyone else. It always amazed me how so many intelligent people could be so emotionally and socially stunted.

Maybe the problem is with me. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I don't really want to deal with any of that crap at this stage in my life. So for now my Ph.D. plans are on hold. Maybe some day I'll be motivated to go back. Once I find the right school.

Current mood: dreamy

Current music: Dixie Chicks Taking the Long Way

No comments: