Friday, June 23, 2006

Sweet Sixteen and The Hills

Old as I am, I still watch a good amount of MTV. Funny, I'm so old I remember the days when they actually played videos. Instead of watching videos, I've been caught up in some of their reality shows. Sweet Sixteen amuses me in the sense of watching a car accident. You're stunned and you're shocked, but you can't stop watching. Those kids must have a nice life if you see what their parties are like and if you see the gifts they receive. When I turned sixteen, my family didn't rent out a hall or club. No, I think we went to Red Lobster for dinner or lunch. I didn't arrive in a stretch Hummer limo, but rather an 80-something Chevy Celebrity. Whitney Houston (my favorite singer at the time) didn't come to the party and sing happy birthday to me, instead it was a group of waiters and waitresses working their way through college. I didn't get a brand new BMW, but maybe we went to Borders later in the evening and my parents bought me a few books. I'm not bitter, really, because I always have a wonderful time whenever I go out to dinner with my family. It doesn't matter if it is my birthday, and it doesn't matter how old I am.

I'm interested in The Hills because I got caught up in watching Laguna Beach, season two. Even though I'm a Kristin fan (that's a whole other story about my taste in women), I'm interested in how Lauren (LC) gets by in life after high school. One of the gals in the show dropped out of college (fashion school) to pursue her "dream job." Surprisingly, what she failed to realize is that when you have a job, you might actually have to work. And when you are about 19, you have to start out at the bottom. When speaking to her boss, she said things along the lines of, "she just didn't know that it was a full-time job, and she didn't know that she would be stuffing envelopes, she was mainly interested in the events." She basically thought her workplace would be a night club and her job would be to dance at parties and meet hot people. At least that's what I read. I work full time from 8:00 to 5:00 and I often eat lunch at my desk..."al desko" as they say it in the working world. If it isn't enough to work from Monday through Friday, I'll also be working this weekend on a freelance project I just took on. Extra cash is always good, and it's for a friend who I have a soft spot for and who I can never say no to. The "little sister" who can always get away with murder.

Oh, to be young. Enjoy it while it lasts, kids, because in 10 to 15 years you'll be worrying about paying rent, paying bills, and which 401(k) plan to sign up for. Enjoy your youth and freedom while you can, because this adult shit is overrated.

I say that in jest. I'd much rather be the age I am now than to be a teenager again. Even though I have my days when I can be a cranky and grumpy old fart, I tend to think I'm getting better with age. Kind of like a fine wine!


Current mood: full - I had a huge and yummy dinner tonight
Current drink: Cline's 2004 California Ancient Vines Zinfandel
Current music: The Wreckers

No comments: