Friday, June 02, 2006

Strange Modesty and Creature of Habit

Earlier this week I was on a business trip to South Bend, Indiana. It was my first official business trip alone, and I had my own little rental car and my own hotel room. While I was in my room, I oddly enough found myself wrapped up in some strange kind of modesty. When I'm at home in my own apartment, I hardly ever close my bedroom or bathroom doors. I wander around naked or lounge around in a bathrobe. For some reason when I was in that hotel room, I didn't do any of these things. I felt modest even though I was still alone. What would compel me to shower with the bathroom door closed when I never do this at home? Maybe it was because I was out of my natural surroundings. Every morning the hotel sets up a little breakfast area. While I was eating my breakfast, I was surprised at how other people didn't seem to have the same sense of modesty. Almost everyone who came to breakfast arrived wearing their pajamas, boxers, t-shirts, whatever. They were either barefoot or in their socks with holes in the toes.

Even though I had this strange sense of modesty, a part of me was still a creature of habit. I had a huge king size bed, but I still had a tendency to sleep on one side as opposed to the middle. I slept on the side of the bed I sleep on when I'm at home in my own bed--the right side (when you're lying down) next to the night stand and alarm clock.

It was certainly an "interesting" trip in so many ways...

No comments: