Monday, June 12, 2006

Voyeur

Before I get into this blog, I just want to state that I'm not creepy.

I will admit that I am somewhat voyeuristic at times. Sometimes you can't help but be that way. When I'm in my apartment complex, you can't help but look in windows as you're passing by when you are getting mail, going to the laundry room, throwing out the trash, whatever. I'm always interested in what I'll see inside. What kind of furniture does a person have--fancy leather, old and beat up sofas and coffe tables, or futons? What do they have on their walls--prints, posters, pictures? Is their home clean or messy? What are they watching on TV? What kind of music do they listen to? These are all casual observations, a glimpse into someone's life as you briefly walk past. But it is nonetheless interesting to me for some reason.

At the same time I wonder what people think when they walk by my apartment. Prints and posters of Greece and Rome on the walls, five diplomas and a Phi Beta Kappa certificate, a variety of music coming from my stereo or computer, sometimes clean, sometimes messy. In the big picture what do these little things say about us? What little clues or insights do they give? I wonder...


Current mood: relaxed
Current music: Tori Amos From the Choir Girl Hotel
Current drink: Swanson 2002 Napa Valley Merlot

1 comment:

Tenth Muse said...

Did I say five diplomas? I have only four...only. One Associate of Arts degree from Irvine Valley College, one BA in English from Cal State Fullerton, one BA in Classics from UC Irvine, one MA in Classics from CU Boulder. That's just four plus my Phi Beta Kappa certificate which all adds up to five things on the wall...for now. I've been told several things by various people. Some think that it won't be long before I have a Ph.D. Others think I'll have a law degree before I'm 40-nine years to tackle that one! Oy!