Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Almost There

Having just inhaled my dinner, I thought I would write a quick post before getting back to work. Things are still ever so busy at work and the next two days in the office are going to be crazy. The big board of directors meeting will be held over the next few days. Fortunately I don't have to do anything special and I don't have to attend any of these meetings. There will just be a lot of people wandering around the office, and many of them will be stopping in everyone's office to try to get to know us and find out what we do. I suppose I'm fortunate to be an editor in the company because the editors are always the odd ones in the office. We're not odd per say, but people think of us as odd because they don't really understand what we really do. Usually when we have visitors to our office, they say "oh, you edit the books? Well it was nice meeting you..." I'm especially fortunate because in addition to being an editor, I am also a Classicist. When I tell people that I edit books for a living and read Greek and Latin for fun, they usually look at me with a somewhat stunned and perplexed look on their face. Ahh, like the Medusa, I can freeze (or turn to stone) a person in an instant.

I'm very close to finishing my big project. It has been difficult and often frustrating, and I will be happy when it is finished. I've decided to pick and choose my battles. The errors that I haven't fixed yet are things that will have to stand until the next edition. I've caught all of the gross errors, so that makes me feel better. Letting go is hard for me because I've been trained by the best (and you know who you are!), and I truly care about the quality of my books. As much as I want to be a perfectionist, I have to let go this time. That is simply for my own peace of mind. The project will end, and at least I find some comfort in knowing that I'm producing something that is better than what I started with.

No comments: