Sunday, October 08, 2006

Grocery Shopping Guilt

Have you ever had those days when you just need to do some grocery shopping. You are armed with a list and you are on a mission. I was in this mood today, and today happened to be the day when there seemed to be a lot of activity at the grocery store. As I walked into the door the guilt immediately set in when I had to turn down a group of boy scouts who were selling popcorn. Sorry, kids, I already have popcorn at home. This also happened to be a day when they were giving out a lot of free samples. Normally, I love free samples, but today I was on a mission. I just wanted to get my stuff and go. I didn't want to be lured into the temptation of buying things I didn't have on my list. No, thank you, I don't want to try the low fat yogurt. No, thank you, I'm not interested in the cereal. No, thank you, I don't want a cookie. Okay, okay, I'll try a sample of the grilled steak. I want to be healthier and eat more salads. Bagged salads are easy and convenient, but the thought of getting e-coli or any other sickness made me think twice about it. I don't want to buy all of the "fresh" fixings for a salad, because I'm just one person and don't want to buy too much of something that might go bad before I eat half of it. So, feeling guilty, I gave up the idea of eating fresh salads. Although, I suppose I can say that I'm proud of myself for resisting the temptation to buy a box of Creamsicles or Drumsticks. I've been having unnatural cravings for ice cream these days. Although, I did buy a bag of Doritos. So much for healthy.

The grocery store was also unusually crowded today, too. Most of the people were walking around as if they were in a daze. One very unfriendly and not-so-happy lady happened to be everywhere I needed to go. When I politely said "excuse me" as I tried to squeeze by her and her cart which was conveniently parked in the middle of the aisle, she gave me a rude and dirty look. I was half-tempted to say, "you know, you look a little unhappy and uptight, in fact you look constipated, I'm sure if you go to the pharmacy, they can provide you with some much needed laxatives, have a nice day." However, with the exception of the constipated lady, the majority of the people in the store were quite nice and friendly. Oddly enough, I received a lot of very friendly smiles from several of the young college guys. That just makes a girl happy, even me. And the fact that I'm probably at least ten years older than most of these guys makes me smile even more.

I've been finishing up some of my household chores. My apartment still isn't as clean as I wanted it to be. Oh well. What I really want right now is a glass of wine. The only problem is that the only red wine I have right now is my "special occasion" wine, and it isn't one of my cheaper wines. I don't think I'm quite ready to open my $30 bottle of Merlot tonight. Maybe I'll save it for later this week when we have our first snowfall. Maybe I'll just make a B-52 later in the evening.

Current drink: Barq's Root Beer
Current music: More songs from my iTunes library. Currently "Alibi" by the David Gray

No comments: