Friday, October 05, 2007

Using the Law for Purposes of Scams

I never answer my phone, my home line or my cell phone, when I don't recognize the number on the caller ID. This evening my home phone rang and I let the call go to my voicemail. There was a message from a woman saying that I've been named as a respondent in a civil complaint. She gave an affidavit number and used words like pursuant. She made threats that if I didn't call back or respond "further legal action or litigation would be filed against me." The woman said her name was Marie Knight (possibly a fake name) and that she was from Worldwide Investigation. I thought it was odd, so I did a little investigating of my own and searched on the phone number on the caller ID and the number she gave me to call back. It turns out that a lot of people receive phone calls like this, and basically this company tries to get the person to turn over information like bank account numbers and social security numbers. I guess the threat of legal action scares enough people into doing things like this.

I kind of hope that she calls back. I'd be tempted to challenge her and ask her if all of the proper legal documents, like the complaint, have been filed and why haven't I received them; what state and county would hold jurisdiction; what are the causes of action; what is the theory of relief, etc. You know, basic stuff like that.

Current mood: relaxed
Current music: Loreena McKennitt. Nights from the Alhambra
Current drink: Fat Tire

No comments: