Monday, January 07, 2008

American Gladiators

So for many of you who haven't know me for that long, you're probably not aware that in the early '90s I was crazy about a little show called American Gladiators. Yes, you can laugh if you want, but I loved the show. Because I've always been small, I've always been teased and picked on, so the thought occurred to me that if I were strong and athletic, maybe people would leave me alone. So, yes, that is when I started lifting weights. Now, I have some Asian blood in me, so I'm never going to get huge, but I did get strong. I know for a fact that about 90% of you who are reading this are laughing out loud right now, because I know you see me as this tiny little shrimp. But what can you say about a gal who, when she was in the tenth grade, bench pressed about as much weight as the guys?

American Gladiators was brought back, and this week the new season started to air. They have a lot of the old events, but most of them are revamped and brought into the new century. There is a lot of flash and fire and water. I sort of wish there were less commercials, much less talking from the hosts, and more events during the hour. But, all in all, they are fun shows. Most of the shows on TV these days are either horrible or stupid, so we might as well go back to our Roman roots and watch people fight, wrestle, and beat each other up. The only difference is that no one dies.

This does, however, renew my dream of becoming an American Gladiator. I just have to find a way to grow six inches and gain about 40 pounds, then I would be set.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They should bring back some of the old gladiators and let them participate as competitors.