Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Tale of Two Commutes

Yesterday's miniblizzard left the roads in horrible condition this morning. First of all, it took me about ten or fifteen minutes just to chip the ice off my car. And I found out that the new pair of gloves that I just bought aren't warm enough. I'm not sure if the problem is with the gloves or if it is with my hands. All I know is that the tips of my fingers were hurting by the time I finished cleaning my windows. Then came the task of actually driving to work. The roads were nothing but ice, and I certainly felt my car sliding around in certain spots. Just in the short three-mile drive from my apartment to the office, I saw quite a few accidents. One SUV (yes, an SUV!) was slammed into the back of a Honda. Size means nothing on ice! What is normally a ten-minute commute turned into about 20-25 minutes. Fortunately that wasn't as bad as what some of my friends had to deal with. Their commute from Denver was over two hours. In weather like this I'm thinking one of two things: I wish I were back in California, or when the heck are they going to invent a Jetson's car that flies?

But, as is typical in Colorado, the sun came out and started to melt all of the snow and ice. When I left the office at 5:00, it was about 35 degrees, which actually felt somewhat warm. And, thankfully, the roads were clear and dry. And, in addition to a safe drive home, I was blessed with a beautiful sunset during the drive. There were clouds over the mountains, and they were all shades of orange and pink and purple. The mountains were covered with the fresh snow that seemed to glow. For all of the stress and anxiety of the morning drive, the day ended on a very beautiful note.

Current mood: relaxed
Current music: Lisa Gerrard. The Silver Tree

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jetsons cars? Yikes! Can you imagine Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Nicole Richie if they had Jetson Cars?