Thursday, January 25, 2007

Something in the Air

They say that January is one of the worst months. This is the month when people are recovering from the holidays, going back to work, receiving credit card statements, and already breaking New Year's resolutions. I guess they call it the January Blues. I feel fine for the most part, but there does seem to be something in the air at work. Something seems a little off. Something seems a little out of balance. Something just isn't right. If you look around the office, you'll see three general moods. Either a person is in a really bad mood, depressed for some reason, or just plain tired and exhausted. Even though I've been feeling fine, I'm the type of person who tends to feed off of the moods around me. If someone around me is in a bad mood, that stresses me out and eventually puts me in a bad mood. If someone around me is depressed, that rubs off on me and I start to mope. If someone is tired, I start to feel tired. So if you combine all of the moods at once, that makes for an interesting new mood all together. I just feel restless and unsettled. To pull out one of my Classical metaphors: it is like sailing a ship between Scylla and Charybdis. Maybe you'll get eaten by Scylla. Maybe you'll drown in Charybdis. There is no such thing as "the lesser of two evils" between the two. Both are pretty bad, and neither is much fun. But you have no choice, you have no other route. All you can do is keep sailing forward and hope that somehow you find a way to survive.

No comments: