Sunday, July 29, 2007

New York: Day One

My first day began very early in the morning. I woke up around 2:00 a.m. (right about the time when some of my friends were probably going to bed) to get ready for my trip. I took a shower and dressed myself up in decent clothes because I had to run to a meeting once I got to New York. At that time of day--or morning, rather--I wanted nothing more than to travel in jeans and a more causal shirt, but we do what we have to do. I had some time in the morning to have a decent breakfast (oatmeal, coffee, and orange juice) and I finished packing the last few things in my bags. The shuttle picked me up around 4:00 and I was on my way to the airport. As much as I hated getting up that early in the morning, it was nice to go to the airport and not wait in any lines. I walked right up to the United Airlines counter, got my boarding pass, checked in my bag, then breezed through security. Even though I had breakfast at home, I had a second breakfast at the airport. In the first place, I tend to get hungry every two or three hours. I either have a really fast metabolism or I have a tapeworm in my stomach. In the second place, I knew that I wouldn't get any real food on the plane and I also knew that I wouldn't have much of a chance to have lunch once I got to New York. So I decided to fill myself up as much as possible before I left. For the sake of ease and convenience (and also to satisfy a guilty pleasure), I just went to McDonald's for my second breakfast.

The flight to New York was a smooth one and it took only a few minutes to catch a cab to my hotel. Okay, I thought that traffic in Los Angeles was crazy, but New York and Manhattan is a whole different kind of crazy! People honk their horns for reasons that are both apparent and not apparent. Weaving in and out of lanes is normal. And missing pedestrians by a hair is nothing to be concerned about. I sat in the back seat of the cab saying Hail Marys and for some extra grace and protection I even said it in Latin. I made it to the hotel alive and in one piece, checked in, and freshened up a bit before I rushed off to my first meeting. Fortunately the office is just around the block from the hotel.

The meeting went well. I didn't do much but sit in the back row of a crammed conference room and took notes on all of the books that were presented. Fortunately the meeting only lasted a few hours. I met some important people, toured the office, and then went back to my hotel room to relax for an hour or so. The room was on the eighth floor and it was really nice and cozy with a very large bed. I then went downstairs and went to the Black Duck restaurant which is attached to the hotel. Since the company was paying for all of my meals, I decided to go big with my order. I had an "Espresso Rubbed Filet Mignon" on a bed of scallion mashed potatoes and seared spinach with a glass of Zinfandel. This was a huge plate of food which, in all, probably weighed about as much as I do, but I practically licked the plate clean. Nothing was left! My very sweet and nice waiter came to the table and simply said, "Um, I guess you don't need a take out box tonight." I assume he was wondering where I put all the food.

After dinner I walked around the block and down Park Avenue a little bit, but then went back to my hotel. It was a long day for me. The next day would be full of meetings, and I was tired and ready for bed.

No comments: