Saturday, July 21, 2007

Work, Travel, Tiny Bottles, and Security

Work: Well, this week has been quite busy, stressful, and exhausting. Work has been keeping me extremely busy, and one project in particular has been taking up all of my time. We're pushing the limits of the deadline, but (with the help of a friend and co-worker) the book should go to press on Wednesday. And this is just one book of many that I'm working on. I've been working a lot of long hours and weekends, and it's exhausting. Oh well. It will all get done.

Travel, Tiny Bottles, and Security: I leave for New York on Tuesday, and as it turns out, I will be going alone. Another co-worker was supposed to come, but I just found out that she is not going. This essentially means that I will be running from one meeting to another all day long. If another person was coming we could at least take turns and have one go to one meeting and another go to another meeting. But now I'll be going to all of the meetings. Most of my travel arrangements have already been made. All I need to do is call the shuttle service to make a reservation for them to take me to the airport. Meanwhile, I've been shopping around for those tiny bottles and travel sized items to take along with me. And, honestly, there are just some things I need that aren't available in travel sizes. Normally I don't like to check my bags when I'm going to an unfamiliar airport in an unfamiliar city, but I might have to this time. Because, God forbid, I need more than three ounces of some kind of gel or liquid! I'm all for security and keeping people safe when we travel, but some things just perplex me. Sure, maybe you can make a great bomb out of various liquids and gels. And, okay, maybe there is a threat if someone brings any liquid or gel of any kind in a carry on bag. So we are either forced to put these liquids or gels into tiny bottles or we have to check our bags. Ironically, though, if you had the inclination to carry on a 7-inch screwdriver or sharp, pointed scissors with 4-inch blades, you are more than welcome to. In spite of the fact that you can stab someone in the back or the ear with a screwdriver or slit someone's throat with scissors, these will pass through security without a problem. But don't you dare try to bring in a 5 ounce tube of toothpaste!

I suppose I should end this post before I get placed on a terror watchlist...

No comments: