Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weather, Transporting Kayaks, and Big Men and Little Dogs

Weather: I just realized that it has been a long time since I've given the weather report. It's been hot, very hot, here in Boulder. It's hot to such a degree that it would be nice to sit in a bathtub full of ice water...or cold beer... But at least it is a dry heat, as they always say. I checked the weather reports for New York and temperatures when I'm there should be in the 80s with humidity around 60%. After living in Colorado for five years, I don't like humidity that much. It is also supposed to rain a few days when I'm in New York. Hopefully I can buy an umbrella in the hotel or somewhere near the hotel. I love walking in the rain, but not when I have to go to the office. It probably wouldn't be nice to sit in a meeting with drenched hair and clothes.

Transporting Kayaks: With all of the outdoors people here in Colorado, you think that anyone would know how to transport a kayak. Most people have roof racks and they simply tie the kayak down. Any smart person knows that the kayak should probably run the length of the car. But while I was out today I actually saw one idiot who, for whatever reason, tied the kayak across the width of the car. The ends of the kayak (I'm sure there is a word more technical than "end") were sticking out over the sides of the car like wings. Naturally no one wanted to get near this guy. I honestly want to know what made this guy think that what he did was a good idea...

Big Men and Little Dogs: Sometimes you can't help but to put certain impressions, images, or stereotypes in your head. You would think that big guys would like big dogs. While I was out today (again), I saw a sight that proved that theory wrong. I saw a guy walking a dog. This was a big guy. If he was a football player, I'd guess that he was a linebacker or a free safety. He was tall and full of muscles. You would think that he would have a big dog like a Great Dane. Nope. He was walking a little chihuahua that looked like it could probably fit in one of his hands. Just the sight of this giant man and this tiny dog made me smile.

The floor of my apartment is covered with page proofs, so I guess I better get back to work...

No comments: