Sunday, July 09, 2006

Mmmmm....Marinade...

To be honest, I'm a decent cook. I wish I could say that I was a great cook like my friends Julie and Michelle T. who can both whip up a gourmet meal without breaking a sweat. And I'm not nearly as good as my Ma, but let's face it, no one is. But, since I've been living alone for these past four years, I've been trying to teach myself to cook. I wanted to do more than the Ramen and Kraft Mac and Cheese meals (thought those are good at times and have their own charm and merit). I've had my disasters, and I have to admit that there was even a time when I actually screwed up a baked potato. Fortunately Martha W. came to the rescue and told me how to bake a darn potato. All in all, I've been getting better. In general pasta is my thing and I can make a mean vodka cream sauce, but I'm trying to branch out.

I'll have to admit, I love meat. Sorry to all my vegetarian friends. I love red meat, I love chicken, I love pork, I love seafood. When I cook these things I usually just season the meats, whatever it is. It's usually just a dry rub/marinade whatever you want to call it. Tonight I tried something new for my chicken, more of a wet marinade. Like my Ma, I don't measure anything, I just throw things together so you'll have to do what works best for you. My little chicken marinade consisted of olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, thyme (I used dry), and Dijon mustard. I used a lot of Dijon mustard and I think that made the difference. I let it marinade for the day, then just cooked it up in a skillet. With garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli on the side, it was yummy! I'd say it was a success!


Current mood: full with a happy tummy
Current drink: Ravenswood 2003 Napa Valley Zinfandel
Current music: Dixie Chicks, Taking the Long Way

No comments: