Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Virtues of Cognac

When I was at my former job, well, let's just say that I self-medicated a lot. We all self-medicated. Wine, martinis, sex on the beach, B-52s, I've had just about everything. One thing I started to drink a lot was whiskey. Yes, I know, it's classic alcoholic behavior to shoot whiskey. Reminds me of the drunks in old westerns. But it was quick, effective, and relatively cheap. Now that I have a new job, I drink a lot less which is a good thing. I'm sure my liver appreciates it. But when I do drink the quality is always good. I'm back to my roots of drinking an occasional glass of cognac at night. Makes me wonder why I ever drank whiskey. When you bring the glass to your lips and inhale you feel that nice burning sensation in your nose. When you take a sip you feel the inside of your mouth tingle. And, of course, you feel the warmth going down your throat and spreading across your chest. It's warm but smooth all at the same time. It's nice. I have yet to convince many of my friends that cognac tastes good. Most of them just don't like it. Maybe it is just an acquired taste...a taste I seem to have acquired at seventeen.

Still, I have to be good in how I drink cognac. I can't slam it every night like I did with the whiskey. Cognac is much more expensive at about $40 a bottle. I do believe, however, that the day will eventually come when I will be able to buy the Remy Martin Louis XIII Cognac. It is about $2,000, but someday...


Current drink: Remy Martin V.S.O.P Cognac

No comments: