Sunday, July 30, 2006

Pet Peeve: Skinny Women Who Think They're Fat

For years people have made jokes of the dreaded question no one wants to hear from a woman: "do I look fat in this?" I have a few friends (most of whom I don't see that often these days since I'm out of the school scene) who are obsessed with their weight. Their weight can fall around 110, 115, 120, or 125, and they always say the same thing, "I'm so fat." Usually they say it in a squeaky, whiny, babyish kind of voice. Are they fat? Certainly not. Do they actually think they are fat? Maybe in their minds they think they are. I think there might be something more to it. The squeaky, whiny, baby voice tells me that they are just looking for attention. They want someone to flatter them. They want someone to say, "oh, no, you are not fat at all, you're absolutely beautiful." Every woman loves to hear someone say that she is beautiful, but, in my opinion, the phrase "you're beautiful" loses its meaning when someone tries to force it out of you. It should just happen. It should be spontaneous and it should be meaningful. The irony is that these women who think they are fat are also the ones who try to project an image of independence, self-confidence, and self-esteem. In my opinion, they fall short of all of those three things. As far as I know, a truly confident woman doesn't need to ask these questions. In my opinion, this is the most beautiful woman--one who loves herself, who is proud of herself, and who is comfortable with the way she looks. I'm far more attracted to this kind of woman rather than the one who is trying to be cute with the squeaky baby voice. It might be mean, but the next time one of these friends says that she is fat, I really want to just say, "you know, you do look much fatter than the last time I saw you..."

Current music: Tori Amos

No comments: